Q: How do I change my address/beneficiaries?

Each Division of the TCPP has appointed an administrator to handle the day-to-day operations of the Plan, including the maintenance of member records. Please refer to the Contact page to find out who the administrator of your division is to report any changes to your personal information. You can also use the online form on this website to report any changes to your contact information.

To change your beneficiaries, you should contact your Divisional administrator to request a designation of beneficiary form. It is important to keep this information current so the Plan can keep you updated about your pension.

Q: Can I continue to work and earn a pension after receiving my pension from the Plan?

Please contact the Divisional Administrator for more information. You may be required to terminate employment with a contributing employer prior to receiving a monthly pension from the plan.

Q: What happens to my benefit if I die (either pre-retirement or post-retirement)?

If you die prior to retirement, applicable provincial pension legislation sets out the minimum death benefit that is payable. However, each Division of the Plan provides for a death benefit that may have a greater expected value. The survivor benefits are outlined in your pension plan booklet.

If you die after pension commencement, any benefits payable will be based on the option you elected at retirement.


Q: What happens upon a divorce or at the end of a common-law relationship?

In the event that there is a change to your marital/common-law relationship status, due to marriage breakdown, your former spouse may be entitled to a portion of the pension benefit you earned during the marriage in accordance with the applicable legislation.

If you have had a marriage/common-law relationship breakdown and you have a court order or agreement or are in the process of having one drafted, please contact the Divisional administrator to discuss how this may affect your pension.

Q. I have a separation agreement/court order being drafted but not finalized yet. Can I remove my spouse and designate someone else in the beneficiary form?

Your former spouse may be eligible for a portion of your pension in the event of a marriage breakdown. You can designate a beneficiary for any future pension and any pension your former spouse was not entitled to receive. Please contact your Divisional administrator for a designation of beneficiary form.


Q. I am leaving my current employer and moving to another company. Can I access my benefit?

After no contributions are made on your behalf for 24 consecutive months you terminate your membership with the Plan. Once 24 months have passed you will receive a termination statement with the options available to you regarding your pension entitlement for the period you worked.

The 24-month period is needed due to the nature of a multi-employer plan. There are times employees change employers within the same plan, or may have period with no work that should not trigger a termination.

However, note that for Quebec members, legislation requires that termination statements be provided within 60 days after the date on which the Retirement Committee has been informed that the member has ceased to be an active member (provided that you are not laid off).